Sign In or Register
Username:
Password:
Don't have
an account?
REGISTER NOW!
It takes only a moment.

POISONS

POISONS

 

PREVANTION OF POISONING ACCIDENTS AT HOME

  1. Keep all medicines and poisons out of reach of children
  2. Take all medicines and poisons no longer required to any pharmacy for disposal
  3. Remember that if a chemical is strong enough to clean drains, kill pests or cure diseases then it is strong enough to seriously hurt your child
  4. Know where to find the telephone number of the Poisons Information Center.
  5. Have a Poisons Antidote Kit in every house, shop, factory, caravan, boat, etc. They are available from any pharmacy.
  6. Always ring promptly - even if poisoning is only suspected. Do not wait for signs or symptoms to appear - delays can be fatal.
  1. Know the names of ALL your plants, whether indoor or outdoor. Any plant nursery can help you do this.
  2. Never give salt and water to anyone. It can cause serious effects, sometimes needing more treat- ment than the originally ingested material.

 

BE PREPPARED FOR POISONING

  1. Syrup of Ipecac - a safe and effective way to induce vomiting. Available from your pharmacist without a prescription.
  2. Activated Charcoal Powder - a very effective absorbent for many poisons and chemicals. Also available from your pharmacist, without prescription, but do not use unless advised by your Poisons Information Center. The charcoal is mixed with water and sugar and fed to the child like baby cereal. It is given after the vomiting has occurred.

 

SOME POINTS ABOUT VOMITING

Vomiting should not be induced when

a) patient is drowsy, unconscious, convulsing

b) the following have been swallowed: acids or alcalis such as drain, oven and toilet cleaners; Petroleum products - petrol, turps, kerosene, paint thinners, lighter fluid, liquid flysprays, liquid furniture polishes.

Treatment: Patient should drink copious amounts of milk or water. In the event that you do not have Syrup of Ipecac the following method to induce vomiting may be used. If it is not rapidly successful, phone your Poisons Information Center immediately.

 

CHILDREN

  1. Give cupful of warm water.
  2. Roll child in a towel.
  3. Place child face down over your knees, shoulders slopping forward.
  4. With index finger, tickle back of throat and tounge.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 until vomited mater is cleared.
  6. Retain vomited matter for doctor/hospital.
  7. Go straight to nearest hospital.

 

ADULTS

  1. Give 2-3 large glasses of water.
  2. Lower head of patient between knees then with blunt end of spoon or with index finger, tickle the back of throat and tongue.
  3. Steps 5-6 as for child.

 

WHAT TO DO IF PATIENT IS UNCONSCIOUS

  1. Place the patient flat on the back and then roll on the right side.
  2. Put your finger in mouth and remouve dentures, if any, or any other breathing obstruction. Then put fingers beneath jaw and hold it well up and forward.
  3. Loosen any clothing around the neck.
  4. If patient vomits, clean out mouth and throat.
  5. Arrange transport to a Hospital.
  6. Do not give anything by mouth.

 

WHAT TO DO IF ANY SUBSTANCE IS SPLASHED INTO EYE

  1. Immediately hold eyelids apart and gently bathe eye with water.
  2. Place patients in a position where continuous irrigation of the eye can be carried out with a gentle steam of water for a minimum of 20 minutes. Apply the water to the inner side of the eye with the patient’s head tilted slightly to the affected side. The patient should not roll eyes around during irrigation.
  3. Do not use ointment, oil or eye drops.
  4. Patients should have eye checked by a doctor.

 

WHAT TO DO IF POISON HAS BEEN INHALED

  1. Call a doctor immediately.
  2. Carry or drag the patient out into fresh air. Loosen clothing, check pulse and breathing.
  3. If not breathing and pulse absent start external cardiac massage and artificial respiration. Mouth to mouth or mouth to nose respiration are most efficient methods. Minimise hazard to yourself by first wiping patient’s mouth, lips and nose with a damp cloth and be careful not to inhale patient’s exhaled breath.
  4. If not breathing, but pulse present - start artificial respiration.
  5. If breathing but unconscious, place the patient flat on the floor, then roll on the right side. Remove dentures, if any, and remove from mouth any mucus or vomit. Keep chin well up and forward by pushing on the angle of the jaw. Keep warm.
  6. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious patient.
  7. If conscious, encourage the patient to take a series of a rapid and deep breaths, then gradually bring to a sitting position. Give patient copious amounts of water. Make certain patient does not get up and walk around. Make patients lie flat if feeling faint.

 

DOSAGE OF SYRUPOF IPECAC

Children                                   15 ml

Adults                                      50 ml.

 

This dose must be followed by 200 ml of clear fluid (water or soft drink). Dosage only to be repeated on advice from doctor or Poisons Information Center.

 

« Previous:
UNIVERSITIES
Next:
PREVENTION OF POISONING ACCIDENTS AT HOME »